Sunday, May 13, 2007

Learning your lessons in Life…..

After having penned two blogs on lessons life teaches it struck me it is not only imperative to learn a few lessons in life but also learn the right kind of lessons in life. As an intelligent human being I still do not proclaim that I am the best judge of what is good or right lesson in life for not only myself but for others too. This is where I draw a very firm line. I know myself the best. And therefore I am the best judge to interpret the situations in my own life and learn my own lessons from them. I do not claim to know any other person as well as I know myself and therefore cannot claim to be an authoritarian over what is right or wrong for them.

Having said that, I would like to trot out another oft repeated fact of life. Each person is different and unique with his or her own personality. So they would have their own perceptions of the situations in life. With the difference in the perception levels it is but natural that the lessons that life would teach each individual is also very different and unique.

The only fact that remains a constant irrespective of the difference in perception of the situations in life is the fact that the current interpretations shape and nurture the personality and character of an individual and therefore is a parameter to measure the success that one achieves in life. Success again is a very subjective term.

Being just a novice in the vast domain of self improvement my ideas or perceptions about the same are still in its formative stages. According to what I have seen and learnt till date the only thing that I can say is that if the lessons that you learn from life are more negative than positive then something is definitely wrong somewhere. If one progressively become a more negative person instead of a positive one then it is time to change how he/she interprets the situations in life…. wake up…. Give it a good shake…. Analyze, think and re-arrange…. That is what is required in case the experiences in life are teaching you more negative things than positive ones.

One of the first steps towards self improvement is to recognize the areas which are in need of improvement. The next step is to invest time to analyze and change yourself to become a better person. It is one thing to know and quite another to actually go about doing something about it. For some people the negativity and the suppression become a very comfortable zone and they do not want to move out of it. Basically, the idea of change petrifies them. So until and unless the second step (that is of investing time) is met, the first step is inconsequential.

So shake yourself up and learn the right things. There is no right time or age to start learning and improving. I would like to finish off by saying that life is too short to learn only from one’s own mistakes. Some smart people also have the ability to learn from the mistakes of others.

Happy Learning……

No comments: