Thursday, October 12, 2006

Musings on my journey to alleviate self

The subject of this blog is very very wide and I had been struggling for the past couple of days to choose an appropriate topic to start writing about. Then it struck me that the most valuable thing that I can share on this blog is my personal experiences in improving myself. This might motivate someone who is reading this blog to do something about himself/ herself.

One of the biggest pre-requisites for lending out a helping hand to yourself is know yourself. Be honest with yourself about yourself to the point of brutality. Some people think that I have been drastic in doing that but I knew I required something as drastic to improve myself.

I started improving myself by first jotting down my thoughts (to be read as drawbacks) on small pieces of paper which were promptly destroyed. I did as a symbolic gesture which probably indicated that I want to get rid of my bad habits just like that paper.

Since I knew that I had a gigantic task in front of me I had to do it bit by bit. I did not want to get defeated by my own self by taking on too much simultaneously. I then became an observer and listener in order to pick up the changes that I had to make to my behavior. It acheived quite a few things. I became a good observer. I also became a good listener. And by observing and listening enough my sense of judegement took a better and new dimension. The first signs of success in learning by osmosis became evident when I slowly started implementing them in my day-to-day behavior and watched the immediate change in people's response to me. That kept me motivated.

Through the entire journey of alleviating myself there were certain things that became evident and these might be mandatory for all those people who want to learn and grow:

1) Know Yourself
2) Accept and Admit the 'bad' characteristics that you want to change
3) Become an avid reader, listener and observer
4) Have the burning desire to change yourself
5) Have a close friend who can be your constant companion and morale booster through your journey.
6) Last but certainly not the least... have the desire to invest time and effort on your own self.

Once you have these things in place and have the right amount of motivation then the journey become more pleasant and a little less tough.

7) Believe and trust yourself..... You can do it and you will do it.

Have a pleasant journey and a successful life.

No comments: